About the Program
Learn about the epilepsy fellowship program...
The Department of Neurology offers a one-year epilepsy fellowship.
The Department of Neurology offers a one-year epilepsy fellowship, led by Dr. Victor Gonzalez Montoya and accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Those who successfully complete the program are eligible to take the Added Qualification in Epilepsy Exam offered by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
The academic role of epilepsy clinics is to familiarize fellows with epilepsy disorders or mimetic conditions in pediatric and adult populations. Fellows will learn the etiology, pathophysiologic process, clinical presentation, differential diagnosis, diagnostic work-up and therapeutic management of epilepsy disorders as well as the social aspects of the disease. Clinics will provide fellows the expertise needed to manage the full spectrum of epilepsy disorders, mainly in an outpatient setting but also in the context of inpatient emergencies.
Our electroencephalogram (EEG) laboratories are located at both the VCU Medical Center and the Hunter Holmes Mcguire Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Fellows will spend six months in the EEG lab and another six months in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit.
Additional program updates include:
- Recently expanded EMU, Level 4 accreditation by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers
- Use of high-density EEG to diagnose and evaluate epilepsy
- Use of Robotic Surgical Assistant (ROSA) device to conduct surgical procedures (sEEG)
- Upcoming pediatric-dedicated EMU at the Children’s Hospital
Click on the link to learn more about the Division of Epilepsy and its faculty.
Information for fellowship applicants...
One fellowship position becomes available beginning July 1 each year.
One fellowship position is available each year. The department is now accepting applications for a July 2022 start date. All application materials must be received by April 1 for consideration. The fellowship does not participate in any matching programs.
Please submit the following original application materials:
- VCU Health Systems Graduate Medical Education general application
- Curriculum vitae (CV) with current e-mail address and phone number
- Personal statement
- Professional photograph
- Official medical school transcript
- Test scores
- USMLE steps 1, 2 and 3 (passing scores – no minimum)
- COMLEX-USA steps 1, 2 and 3 (if applicable)
- CSA step 2CS (if applicable)
- TOEFL (if applicable – minimum score of 600)
- TWE (if applicable)
- Notarized copy of ECFMG certificate
- Notarized copy of visa (if applicable)
- Letters of recommendation: A minimum of three U.S. or Canadian physicians who know the applicant’s clinical skills and have worked with the applicant during the past two years (must be originals; no electronic copies)
Send application materials to:
VCU Department of Neurology
Attn: Judy Gutierrez
Richmond, VA 23298-0599
Applicants must have completed an accredited residency program in neurology, child neurology or general psychiatry in the U.S. or Canada. For further information, please consult the ACGME and the ABPN.
After acceptance and prior to joining the program, applicants must provide a list of rotations completed during prerequisite training. This document, on letterhead from the institution where training was completed, must arrive no later than July 15.
If you have additional questions please don't hesitate to reach out.
Judy Gutierrez, Fellowship Coordinator
Phone: (804) 828-4615
Victor Gonzalez-Montoya, MD, Program Director & Interim Chair
Jasmine Oliver, Administrative Assistant for the Divisions of Sleep and Epilepsy
Meet our current fellow...
Fellowship Program Alumni
Our past fellowship program alumni...
Muhammad Bhatti, MD
Geinsenger Medical Center. Danville, PA
Ammar Hussain, MD
University of North Carolina. Chappel Hill, NC
AdventHealth Medical Group Epilepsy. Orlando, FL
Kenichiro Ono, DO
Virginia Commonwealth University. Richmond, VA
Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center. Richmond, VA
Diana Oyoung-Oliver, DO
UC Health Longmont, CO
Latangela Smith, DO
Vidant Medical Center. Greenville, NC