Leslie Cloud, M.D.
Divisions: Adult Neurology, Movement Disorder Specialists Director, Parkinson’s Disease Program, VCU Parkinson’s & Movement Disorders Center
Department: Department of Neurology
- BA, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Boston University
- MSc (Master of Science in Clinical Research), Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- MD, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
Post Graduate Education
- Movement Disorders Fellowship-Emory University School of Medicine
- Neurology Residency-Emory University School of Medicine
- Medicine Internship-Emory University School of Medicine
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, expires 11/2018
- My research focuses on the development of novel therapeutics for the nonmotor symptoms of Parkinson's disease. I currently have both observational and interventional clinical studies that are enrolling individuals with Parkinson's disease (and their spouses). If you are interested in learning more about my research program, please contact me at the VCU Parkinson's and Movement Disorders Center.
- My primary clinical interest is in Parkinson's disease and other forms of Parkinsonism; however, I also have training and expertise in the full spectrum of movement disorders.
- I teach, both clinically and non-clinically, to a wide variety of learners across many departments in the School of Medicine and many schools at VCU. I have served as the faculty facilitator for the medical student and neurology resident movement disorder rotations since 2013. I have also served as the faculty facilitator for the neurology resident journal club since 2013. In this capacity, I have restructured the journal club format to improve residents’ clinical research vocabulary and literacy as well as their critical thinking skills.
Keywords & Interest Areas
- Parkinson's disease
- Movement Disorders
- Parkinson's Plus Syndromes
- Secondary Parkinsonism
- Tardive Dyskinesia
- NOW Center
11958 West Broad Street
Henrico, VA 23233
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding Teacher Award for Best Teacher in the M3 Neurology Clerkship, 2011-2012
- VCU School of Medicine Nominee for Distinguished Term Faculty Award, 2015-2016
- Dean’s Excellence Funds Recipient, VCU School of Medicine, 2011-Present
- Chief Resident, Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, 2007-2008
- Dean’s Student Research Fellowship Award, Medical College of Georgia, 2001
- Magna Cum Laude, Boston University, 2000
- Completed Boston University’s College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program, 2000
- Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute Summer Research Fellowship Award, 1999
- Alpha Epsilon Delta- Premedical Honor Society, Boston University, inducted 1998
- Golden Key National Honors Society, Boston University, inducted 1998
- American Neurogastroenterology & Motility Society
- Parkinson’s Study Group
- Virginia Neurological Society
- American Neurological Association
- Movement Disorders Society
- American Academy of Neurology
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Austin KA, Ameringer SW, Starkweather AR, Cloud LJ, Sturgill JL, Elswick RK. Biobehavioral framework of symptom and health outcomes of uncertainty and psychological stress in Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, Accepted January 2016.
- Zutshi D, Cloud L, Factor S. “Tardive syndromes are rarely reversible after discontinuing dopamine receptor blocking agents: Experience from a University-based movement disorder clinic.” Tremor and Other Hyperkinetic Movements. 2014 Oct; 4:266. PMID 25374768 Editor’s Pick, 2014.
- Cloud L, Rosenblatt A, Margolis R, Ross C, Pillai J, Cory-Bloom J, Tully H, Bird T, Panegyres P, Nichter C, Higgins D, Helmers S, Factor S, Jones S, Testa C. “Seizures in juvenile Huntington’s disease: frequency and characterization in a multi-center cohort.” Movement Disorders. 2012 Dec; 27(14): 1797-1800. PMID: 23124580 .
- Michael W. Brands and Leslie J. Cloud. “Control of Arterial Pressure by Angiotensin II and Nitric Oxide at the Onset of Diabetes.” American Journal of Hypertension, July 2003, 16(7): 600-603. PMID: 12850396
Books, Book Chapters, & Monographs:
- Cloud, L. Constipation. In: Therapy of Movement Disorders: A Case-Based Approach. Stewart Factor and Stephen Reich, eds. 2016. In Press
- Lehosit, J, Cloud L. Movement Disorders in Systemic Disease. In: Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders, 6th edition. Joseph Jankovic and Eduardo Tolosa eds. 2015.
- Lehosit, J, Cloud, L. Gastrointestinal complications of movement disorders. In: Movement Disorders in Neurologic and Systemic Disease. Werner Poewe and Joseph Jankovic, eds. 2014.
- Cloud LJ, Jankovic, J. Systemic disease and movement disorders. In: Oxford Textbook of Clinical Neurology on Movement Disorders. David J Burn, ed. 2013.
- Revuelta G, Cloud L, Aia P, Factor S. Tardive Dyskinesias. In: Hyperkinetic Movement Disorders: Diagnosis and Treatment. Albanese, A. and Jankovic, J. eds. 2010.
- Esper CD, Aia PG, Cloud LJ, Factor SA. Cramps and Spasms. In: Therapeutics of Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders. Hallet M, ed. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. 2008.