Welcome to the Neurology Clerkship! This clerkship consists of both inpatient and outpatient experiences at VCU Medical Center and Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center. At the conclusion of the clerkship, students will gain expertise in the neurological exam, hone their anatomical localization skills and familiarize themselves with the breadth of neurological conditions. The clinical experience will be supplemented with weekly didactic sessions that include simulation center modules, resident-led didactic sessions and reviews of high yield exam content.
Clerkship Director: Neel Dixit, M.D.
- Perform an accurate and appropriate neurologic history and physical examination based on the presentation of patient symptoms.
- Formulate a differential diagnosis using available patient information and diagnostic data.
- Distinguish key neurologic abnormalities, localizing these to central and peripheral regions within the nervous system.
- Describe the pathophysiology, clinical course, and management of patients with common neurologic conditions and key neurologic emergencies.
- Explain the indications, potential complications, and interpretation of common tests used in diagnosing neurologic conditions.
- Practice compassionate, empathetic, and culturally responsive communications with patients and their families to promote understanding of diagnoses and treatment plans.
- Communicate patient information accurately and efficiently to all members of the healthcare team to ensure continuity of care.
- Collaborate with members of the healthcare team to promote high-value care of patients.
- Practice ethical decision making, accountability, and dependability with patients, their families, and members of the healthcare team.
- Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and continued professional growth through the solicitation and incorporation of feedback.
Please also review the institutional learning objectives
Neurology Clerkship Director
Neel Dixit, M.D.
Neurology Clerkship Coordinator